Empires, the award-winning Half-Life 2 mod, combines the best of the first person shooter and real-time strategy genres. Fight as either the Northern Faction, remnants of the fallen nation of Jekotia, or as the imperial Brenodi Empire.
Choose your commander wisely and fight with up to 64 players for resources to power your army and fund your research into ever more deadly weapons, abilities and vehicles.
Wed, 03/27/2013 - 03:28 by Beerdude26
This release is mainly comprised of bug fixes and script balances. We've also managed to tackle the issue of Empires not working for people with multiple Steam accounts, as well as a few other installation issues.
If following the advice above doesn't work, please make a thread in the Support Forums.
Empires 2.41 Changelog
+ Tank weapons can now be reloaded mid way through a clip (will dump the remaining ammo from the clip).
+ Shortcuts to select class in the class selection menu. E, G, R, S will now select Engineer, Grenadier, Rifleman and Scout appropriately whilst in the class menu.
+ Added new HTML based news panel.
+ Added a splash screen to replace the launcher window on game start.
+ Mappers can now place engineer cameras in their maps (only partially working, they need built when the map starts and nf cameras display the BE model.)
+ New server command to instantly start sudden death: emp_sv_enable_sudden_death (1/0).
* Empires can now be launched if installed on a separate drive from Source SDK Base 2007 (using the Steam library feature).
* Zoom-out effect when switching rifleman weapons after using ironsight zoom.
* News panel in main screen could be duplicated when changing resolution.
* Players health could be displayed as being below 0 HP after they died.
* Pacifist achievement could be gained by any player with 0 kills at the end of the round. It is now only awarded to the player with 0 kills and the highest points.
* Multiple mortar shells can now be fired at once.
* Bots can no longer earn achievements.
* Northern Faction Heavy Machine Gun would drain stamina at the incorrect rate.
* Mortar rounds could pass through Brenodi Empire Heavy tank at some angles.
* Fixed issue where empires could fail to start on some computers with multiple steam accounts.
* Map name label is now visible whilst in spectate.
* Revive icons no longer appear in the sky for unspawned players when playing as revive engineer.
* Fixed issue where wages may not update after building vehicles.
* Sticky grenades can no longer damage friendly vehicles.
* Wrong skills will no longer be shown in class menu.
* When re-customising a vehicle using a repair pad your team no longer needs the resources for the full value of the tank. It now correctly requires only the value of the changes.
* Highlight boxes when mousing over some selection boxes were too large.
* Destroyed Northern Faction APCs now have the correct texture.
* Missing rock and water textures on emp_slaughtered.
* When maximum rank is reached (commander) the next rank (in class selection menu) will read max instead of always reading commander.
* Engineers would not get second turret/camera after 4th rank.
* Squad aura was still applied whilst squad leader was dead.
* Bio weapon damage fixed. It was using the absolute world coordinates of the initial damage as the reference point to apply damage.
* Requests for health/ammo/repairs should now be clearly visible on the minimap.
* Fixed missing minimaps on emp_arid and emp_glycencity for some players.
* APC's would still heal their occupants during sudden death.
* Launcher will now exit even if user doesnt click ok in dialogue box / game exits unexpectedly.
* Using imperial instead of metric units for speedometer (available in options menu) now persists after Empires has been restarted.
* Selecting pistols could sometimes affect the selection of skills.
/ Updated Empires manual.
/ Updated emp_palmbay.
/ Updated emp_bush.
/ Updated emp_crossroads.
/ Updated emp_escort.
/ Updated emp_slaughtered.
/ Lowered emp_streetsoffire resource rate by 50%.
/ Increased tickets for emp_mvalley, emp_duststorm and emp_cyclopean.
/ Tweaked opacity of water on emp_cyclopean.
/ Improved lighting on some tree/bush models.
/ Updated local 'Create Server' menu to say Empires 2.41 instead of 2.2 as the default server name.
Upgraded Grenades - Research time: 20 -> 60.
Reactive - HP: 100 -> 120.
Composite - HP: 70 -> 80.
Fission - Max Speed: -5 mph to all chassis types.
Fission - Moving Heat Dissipation: 12 -> 8.
Coolant - Stationary Heat Dissipation: 9 -> 8.
Rail Gun - Clip size: 25 -> 30.
BE Heavy - Max Missile launchers: 2 -> 3.
NF Heavy - Max Missile launchers: 3 -> 5.
BE/NF Pistol 1 - Falloff: 1500 -> 1000.
NF Shotgun Pistol - Headshot modifier: 2.0 -> 1.6.
BE Heavy Pistol - Damage: 55 -> 60.
BE Heavy Pistol - Falloff: 600 -> 1000.
BE Heavy Pistol - RoF: 0.25 -> 0.20.
BE Heavy Pistol - Headshot Modifier: 2.0 -> 1.8.
BE Heavy Pistol - Moving accuracy modifiers: Standing -~70%, Ducking -50%, Prone -50% (Not that you can shoot whilst moving prone anyway).
NF Heavy Rifle - Damage: 32 -> 35.
BE Assault Rifle - Damage: 25 -> 30.
BE Assault Rifle - Spawn Mags: 3 -> 4.
BE Assault Rifle - Max Mags: 6 -> 7.
- Automatic spawn selection.
Sun, 01/06/2013 - 07:47 by Beerdude26
Empires 2.4 has been released!
After a long period of development, Empires has finally been patched with a whole host of new additions. A conversion to an improved Steam delivery system will now allow us to patch much more frequently, making development of the game much easier from this point onwards. Released for 2013, we're looking forward to a great year of progressing this Award Winning Mod even further, showing how unique the RTS/FPS Hybrid genre really is.
In other news, as you can see, our main website has been revamped, and is currently undergoing improvements. It's also worth mentioning that since Team Fortress 2 became Free to Play, Empires is actually free for everyone, with no prior source games required!
Key Empires v2.40 features:
A battle with the new Brenodi Heavy Tank, taking place on the revamped version of the map: "Money"
Brenodi APCs engaging the fortification on the new map "Bush".
The updated interface as visible from Commander mode, showing combat on the updated version of "Crossroads".
Fighting over the centre flag on the new Conquest map, "Eastborough".
Reloading the updated Brenodi Heavy Pistol.
Contesting the beachfront on the new map, "Palmbay".
The new Northern Faction APC model.
Pushing the high road on "Midbridge".
Artillery bombardment on "Chain"
Empires 2.40 Changelog
+ Added 8 steam achievements.
+ Single commander attack orders reimplemented.
+ Improved orders.
+ Ability to switch weapon group with mousewheel.
+ Player names appear on corpses
+ Engineers with revive now have a different colour icon on minimap.
+ When dead, friendly Engineers with Revive have a green revive icon above their head.
+ Diminishing returns on Refineries. (When controlling lots of refineries the return is non linear, should give losing teams a better chance to fight back)
+ Attack orders targeting infantry now show delayed positions.
+ Added version number to menu screen.
+ Spawn point auto selection.
+ Players now receive rank points for kill assists (will also tell you the name of the player that you assisted).
+ Class loadouts are now saved for duration of map.
+ Turret gibs (Turrets break apart after being destroyed).
+ Game time counter now shown in HUD.
+ Added ability for mappers to set custom CV freeze times on their maps (emp_sv_commander_freeze_time_override).
+ Non squad leaders can now invite players to their squad.
+ Can now leave squads by using the 'F' (popup) menu
+ Can now accept squad invites by using the 'F' menu.
+ Players wages are now saved after disconnection from a server (the same way that skill points are).
+ Skills in empty skill slots are now automatically selected if the player doesnt choose any.
+ If players dont select a squad they are now automatically assigned to one when they first spawn.
+ Dead players will now have a revive icon above them when playing as engineer with revive skill.
+ Engineers can now recycle vehicle carcasses with their repair tool for additional resources.
+ Commander can now abort recycling of a building by pressing the recycle button again.
+ Grenadier defusal skill now shows a defuse icon above enemy mines.
+ Re enabled DirectX 8.
+ Squad commands accessed from the 'F' menu can now be bound in the main controls menu.
+ Many new particle effects.
+ Added convars for setting seismic, HEMG, and DUMG damage multiplier against map buildables.
+ Revive Engineers can now see the names of dead players.
+ Added mine indicator icon for Grenadiers.
+ Added new Brenodi Empire Heavy Tank model.
+ Added new Brenodi Empire Heavy Pistol model.
+ Added new Northern Faction APC model.
+ Added emp_eastborough to official maps.
+ Added emp_palmbay to official maps.
+ Added emp_bush to official maps.
+ Added emp_midbridge to official maps.
+ Added emp_chain to official maps.
+ Added emp_arid to official maps.
+ Added new pine tree model.
+ The game now updates the commander vote time if it's changed in-game (using the existing emp_sv_vote_commander_time convar).
+ New button in command view in the vehicle building screen. "Show me this Factory", centres view on the selected vehicle factory.
+ Added news panel to main menu.
+ Added link to forums in Message of the Day.
* Respawning in APC didn't fully change the loadout.
* Enemy units sometimes appear in the wrong area of the mini-map.
* emp_force_kill no longer prevents revive after respawning.
* Buggy cancellation of attack orders on infantry.
* Multiple selection for attack orders. (A box attack order now only selects one unit from the box for the order.)
* Client-side mortar collisions.
* Flag GUI not displaying on the first flag capture zone entered.
* Health/stamina panel not appearing when in command vehicle.
* Missiles no longer explode in NF light tank when fired to the right of the vehicle.
* Fixed incorrect implementation of scout vehicle speed upgrade skill.
* Designing a BE APC in the Vehicle Factory now shows correct side model view (AFV was shown before).
* Lost Coast models and materials will now work correctly (instead of Error boxes).
* Sudden death text at top of GUI no longer draws over number of tanks.
* BE wall now spawns at same height as NF wall (allows them to be fired over by infantry).
* Sabotaged turrets will no longer shoot at its hidden saboteur after being repaired.
* Scouts hide skill will no longer hide them from their own teams minimap.
* Smoke grenades in a vehicle factories build area no longer prevents the construction of vehicles.
* Health upgrade skill can no longer upgrade health to max health + 1.
* Vehicle camouflage textures now use significantly less video memory.
* When an enemy changed sides their corpse could be revived and they would remain on your side.
* Armour in vehicle factory build menu was the wrong length on some models.
* Engineer build menu no longer has title "Class/Weapon selection".
* When scout rifle was zoomed and weapon was changed with 'Q' there would be a strange zoom out effect each time you changed weapon as scout.
* Target display has been raised so targets on players are no longer at their feet.
* Skill bugs where skills could sometimes be selected but not working.
* Commanders no longer get stuck in command view if they open the servers message of the day.
* Can no longer see your name when looking directly up in spectator.
* Several exploits that could be used to crash servers.
* Armour no longer overlaps the vehicle factory vehicle customisation image for certain vehicles.
* Can now pick up mines after being revived.
* Can now enter command vehicle while its sliding down a hill.
* Crosshair could disappear when playing as scout when looking at certain distances.
* Vehicle heating could be applied by holding handbrake and forward or reverse buttons simultaneously.
/ Instant Heal removes bio damage.
/ Health crates don't give health in commanderless map Sudden Death.
/ Players can't be revived in commanderless map Sudden Death.
/ Players are moved to Spectator when dying in commanderless map Sudden Death.
/ The green crosshair when pointing at friendlies now extends across further distances.
/ Attack orders now expire depending on the position of the targeted unit.
/ Autospotting by buildings modified to spot only after an enemy unit attacks the building.
/ Changing emp_sv_commander_freeze_time now requires cheats to be enabled.
/ If a player with less than 100 health gets health upgrade skill their health isn't automatically increased to 130HP.
/ No longer need to join squads in order.
/ Research is now free.
/ Skill boundaries are now: 0/10/30/60.
/ Players now have hard collisions.
/ Reduced damage modifiers against map buildables for seismics and Depleted Uranium.
/ Increased Engineer tool healing distance by 50%.
/ Minimum value for spawn protection is now 0 seconds (server variable).
/ Increased vehicle costs.
/ Updated floor texture for Brenodi Empire Barracks.
/ Show squad menu when joining a team.
/ Minimum ammo box placement interval is now 60 seconds.
/ Building sabotage Damage Over Time reduced by 75%.
/ Vehicle weapons now have limited ammo again.
/ Updated emp_canyon.
/ Updated emp_glycencity.
/ Updated emp_crossroads.
/ Updated emp_urbanchaos.
/ Updated emp_escort.
/ Updated emp_slaughtered.
/ Updated emp_money.
/ Many balance changes. (These include, vehicle hull armour, engines and weapons, player weapons and walls among others) - These are far, far too numerous to write down individually. They'd end up with their own changelog if we did, so you'll just have to take our word for it that a lot has been done.
/ Updated NF Jeep model to improve visibility
- Ear ringing effect from explosions.
- Autospot from buildings. Cameras and Radars still function as normal.
Sat, 12/08/2012 - 22:46 by Beerdude26
Several people are having issues with finding Empires servers due to issues with Steam, so here are the IP addresses:
To connect (in the example, to the EPIC server), open the game console and type:
Mon, 07/04/2011 - 13:54 by Brutos
We congratulate you for seven years of trustworthy and steady delivery of Half-Life, Steam and mod news to German fans and players. You have reported about Empires and its releases for our complete history of (nearly) 6 years now. Without you we might not have such a strong presence in Germany and Europe, as we do now. Without you I myself might have never found nor played Empires. I hope both our histories are going to keep running parallel and steady for a long time to come.
To summarize: Wir danken euch und wünschen alles gute zum Geburtstag!
Thu, 03/31/2011 - 17:32 by Brutos
So, we're on steam. Steam patch 1 can be expected any time now, with a number of important crash fixes, optimisation improvements, and now we are proud to announce things that will come with the second patch:
Some more integration into steam itself, in the form of both Achievements, and some brand new features which Valve have personally helped us to implement.
So, for you, our dedicated, unrelenting community, We present you:
Empires will, in the next version, receive a variety of hat unlocks, that will enable you to fit out your classes with their own unique touch. To complement this, we will be adding new player models for each class, which our modellers (Smithy and Mayama) have been hard at work on for several months. A minority of hats will be unlockable via achievements, however most of them will be purchasable from our very own Hat store. We have chosen not to include hat drops, crafting or trading, as we feel this may promote idling.
But we're not there yet. As it stands, we have just a small selection of hats. However, based off the huge support and contributions we've had to the voting for achievements (many of which we've used), we have decided to let you, the community, submit your hat ideas, for our modellers to create. You can find the submission page at: http://brutos.org/hats.php (Please keep images at 64x64).
And, as if this wasn't already fantastic news, Valve have agreed to put our venerable Brenodi Engineer hat, into TF2, unlockable by receiving a yet to be revealed achievement, in Empires. Here's a sneak preview from our Steamworks test account:
So, here's to more development. Thanks go to the dedicated guys behind the scenes, helping make this happen, as well as our dedicated community. If all goes well here, we may even expand into new items such as new weapons! And remember to submit your own hat ideas to get them in!
Fun Fact: We have received over 6000 votes on the achievements until today.